Skip to main content

Original Mixed Media Painting, "Blossom", by Colorado Mixed Media Artist, Donna L. Martin

Blossom

This is one of my first Mixed Media pieces titled "Blossom". This piece means alot to me - a whirlwind of emotions were poured in and and came out of this one!



I didn't want her to be "realistic", but more "whimsical".  I had a great time creating her.  I used alot of different items to create texture and depth in this piece. Her hair is made out of twine. I glued each individual piece on and painted each strand. Her wings are made out of broken glass. At first, she had dark brown eyes, but they just didn't give the viewer the effect I wanted, so I glazed green iridescent paint over the brown. Her eyes change colors between green and brown, depending on the viewers angle. I used molding paste and painted various papers to add into the composition.

Broken glass added to make "wings".

I decided I needed to add some text to complete my thoughts about this one.  I found some vintage sheet music and tore each individual letter out to complete my phrase.  Some of that old sheet music and lettering is just beautiful and I wanted to capture that.  The text reads, "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to Blossom."
  

Text from vintage sheet music.
The piece was completed with a resin coating, which made the colors and textures "pop".  It turned out to be a beautiful piece.


The original piece is sold, but prints are available in various sizes. View more of my work at http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/1-donna-martin.html

For questions or comments, please feel free to contact me at: saltlightwatercolors@yahoo.com

www.donnamartinfineart.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Forever Changed”, by Colorado Artist, Donna L. Martin

  Forever Changed Sometimes people come into our lives unexpectedly.  They end up doing life with us, the good and the bad.  They see us through the most trying times and the offer us unwavering friendship and love.  They are “our person”.  Sometimes, they are gone way too soon.  But because of them, we are forever changed.  This piece has layers of papers, paints, inks, and is heavily textured. This piece is sold, but commissions are welcomed.  Feel free to contact me via email at  saltlightwatercolors@yahoo.com .  You can also follow me on Facebook and Instagram .   https://dmartinfineart.com/

Watercolor Landscape Painting, "Aspen Morning", by International Watercolor Artist, Donna L. Martin

This is an original watercolor landscape that I completed last year.  I just love using vibrant colors of purples and blues...makes me so happy! The original piece is sold, but prints are available in various sizes. View more of my work at http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/1-donna-martin.html For questions or comments, please feel free to contact me at: saltlightwatercolors@yahoo.com

"Daydreams", Original Batik Painting by Colorado Artist, Donna L. Martin

 Daydreams This piece is fresh off the easel!  It will be part of an online art show coming up in May.  There will be several artists showing work over the course of two weeks and my particular day is May 11th.  There will be so many great pieces of work! Here is the link for this show.  I hope you can make it! You can also reach me through email and social media. https://dmartinfineart.com/ https://www.facebook.com/donnamartinfineart https://www.instagram.com/donnamartinfineart/