About Me

My photo
I am a Colorado native, so I grew up loving the natural environment and the wild Rocky Mountains. Until recently, I always considered myself a watercolor artist and felt confined to that little “box” I put myself in. On a quest for discovery and healing, I took a workshop in mixed media techniques. Since that day, I’ve been obsessed – I’ve found a new and different way to express myself and my emotions. I’m on a constant quest to find unusual and discarded “things” to use in my paintings. I’ve used everything from plaster, twine, metal, foil, and even broken windshield glass. It all somehow becomes symbolic in my paintings and signifies a feeling or emotion. Thanks for joining me on this journey and this adventure we call life and art!

Thursday, September 29, 2016

“Discover the Miracle of Forgiveness”, Original Mixed Media Painting by Colorado Artist, Donna L. Martin

"Discover the Miracle of Forgiveness






This was a very emotional process, working on this painting.  It will be donated to an online auction, with all the proceeds going to a very worthy cause.  My every heartbeat was thinking about the results of the auction and how the project will mean so much to so many people.  I began thinking about my own story and thinking about the concept of forgiveness.  I came to the conclusion, for myself, that forgiveness is an ongoing process.  It doesn’t mean that I forget the wrong that was done to me or that the people that hurt me get a “free pass”.  It means that I choose to let go of it, for me.  It is a weight lifted.  Once I begin the process of forgiveness and try to work through it, I am transformed.  It gives me wings to “rise above” it, if you will.  I am still sad and even sometimes angry over what happened to me, but I choose forgiveness and it truly sets me free.  This painting has a lot of symbolism and is very personal.  Rather than tell you my story of what it means to me, I’d like to let you all begin to write your own story…maybe even through this painting.    






This piece was very different for me.  It was created with many layers of paint, papers, stencils, inks, charcoal, gesso, pearl mica flakes, and modeling paste.  In the middle of the piece, it is embellished with an antique doorknob ~ again, another symbolism for me.

This piece will be available in an auction taking place in October.  Here is the link:


You can also find more of my work on my website at:


I welcome your comments!  Email me at:  saltlightwatercolors@yahoo.com



No comments:

Post a Comment