Skip to main content

"Forgotten Girl", by Colorado Artist, Donna L. Martin

Forgotten Girl




Dear Forgotten Girl,

I see you.  I've always seen you.  

I saw the many times you were overlooked and felt forgotten.  I was there when you were always the last picked for the team.  I saw the hurt in your eyes when friends would pass you by to hang out with the other "cool kids".  You never fit it, because of your last name, because the color of your skin wasn't the same as the others in your class, because you were the quiet one.  You were restless and longing for more...even at a young age. You tried your hardest to make friends, but so often, it didn't happen.  You were different, not like the others.

I witnessed your best friend's dad abusing you at the age of 7.  I felt your confusion and your pain, not quite sure of what just happened.  You were too scared to tell your parents.  How would you even tell them something you didn't understand yourself?  Would they believe you anyway...you were just a kid.  

I saw the humiliation and brokenness you felt when your own father kicked you to the ground and called you "stupid" in front of your whole family. My heart broke for you when not one came over to help you up or rushed to your side. They didn't "interfere" in those days.

I was there when you were pregnant at 16, trying to hide it from your parents and you felt so alone.  I cried with you when a few months later, you miscarried your precious baby girl.  You grew up way too fast and knew a loss most your age couldn't even fathom.

I still see you.  Most of the time, you still feel like you don't "fit in".  You are still "the quiet one".  Sometimes I see your longing to conform to the world, but you aren't of this world.  And it's okay.

Because of all of these things, it gave you a heart for the broken, for the people that feel alone, for the forgotten.  Because of your stories, you have the gift of compassion and empathy.  I see the passion, the joy, the gratitude you have for the life you are living right now, in this moment, because you know it hasn't always been this way.  I see the dreams you work tirelessly for and are beginning to realize, because you have walked through the fire and you have never given up.  

Forgotten girl, I see you and although you don't see it, you are perfect in all of your many imperfections.  

This was a very personal and intense painting for me.  It was very different for me and I painted her, reflecting all of my feelings and emotions.  I'm sure some of you feel the same way as forgotten girl. Please don't think you are forgotten. You are loved and everything you are going through will shape you into the person you were meant to be.  Keep dreaming and never ever give up.

This piece is was done with charcoal, gesso, pencil, and acrylic.  It measures 16 X 16 X 1.5.  It will be available in an auction I am participating in in late September, early October.

Please send me an email with any questions or comments...I would love to hear from you!



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

“Forever Changed”, by Colorado Artist, Donna L. Martin

  Forever Changed Sometimes people come into our lives unexpectedly.  They end up doing life with us, the good and the bad.  They see us through the most trying times and the offer us unwavering friendship and love.  They are “our person”.  Sometimes, they are gone way too soon.  But because of them, we are forever changed.  This piece has layers of papers, paints, inks, and is heavily textured. This piece is sold, but commissions are welcomed.  Feel free to contact me via email at  saltlightwatercolors@yahoo.com .  You can also follow me on Facebook and Instagram .   https://dmartinfineart.com/

Watercolor Landscape Painting, "Aspen Morning", by International Watercolor Artist, Donna L. Martin

This is an original watercolor landscape that I completed last year.  I just love using vibrant colors of purples and blues...makes me so happy! The original piece is sold, but prints are available in various sizes. View more of my work at http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/1-donna-martin.html For questions or comments, please feel free to contact me at: saltlightwatercolors@yahoo.com

"Daydreams", Original Batik Painting by Colorado Artist, Donna L. Martin

 Daydreams This piece is fresh off the easel!  It will be part of an online art show coming up in May.  There will be several artists showing work over the course of two weeks and my particular day is May 11th.  There will be so many great pieces of work! Here is the link for this show.  I hope you can make it! You can also reach me through email and social media. https://dmartinfineart.com/ https://www.facebook.com/donnamartinfineart https://www.instagram.com/donnamartinfineart/