Skip to main content

Original Mixed Media Abstract Painting, “Take Heart through the Fire ", by International Mixed Media Artist, Donna L. Martin

"Take Heart Through the Fire"
 
I thought it would be fun to take you through the creation of this piece, from the very beginning to the finished version!
 
 
This is how it started out - a big, white, intimidating canvas.  I added some texture with a cool stencil that I have and some molding paste.  I then started filling in some color with alcohol ink around the divets in the stencil.
 
 
I started adding more color with alcohol inks.  I also had some really cool textured cardboard that I painted with metallic bronze paint and then "rusted" with a rusting solution.  Thanks to Carol Nelson again for teaching me that trick! 
 
 
I also picked up some paper from the shooting range (that is what is sitting on top and bottom of the stenciled part).  It had all these cool holes in it.  Once again, I painted it bronze and then rusted it.  I started attaching in randomly to the piece.
 
 
 
For this middle portion, I painted it with metallic copper paint and then used a solution to patina the paint.  It looks like some kind of regular ol' green paint, but was really quite a process! 
 
 
So after sitting with it for a while, this piece just needed something else, but I couldn't figure out what.  Then lo and behold, I was walking on a local trail and looked down and saw this very cool piece of metal sitting in the dirt alongside the trail.  Seems I've become quite the scavenger!  It was just what I needed to finish this.
 
 
 
Ta Da!!!  All done and ready to go out the door!  It is finished with a beautiful epoxy resin finish (except for the rusted "heart" that I found on the trail), so there is no need for framing.
 
This piece measures 24 X 18 X 1.5, and is available for purchase.

 
For questions, comments, or to inquire about purchasing, please feel free to contact me at: saltlightwatercolors@yahoo.com


http://donnamartinfineart.com/

This piece can also be seen at:

CoArt Gallery

846 Santa Fe Drive
Denver, Co 80204
P: (303)573-5503

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Forever Changed”, by Colorado Artist, Donna L. Martin

  Forever Changed Sometimes people come into our lives unexpectedly.  They end up doing life with us, the good and the bad.  They see us through the most trying times and the offer us unwavering friendship and love.  They are “our person”.  Sometimes, they are gone way too soon.  But because of them, we are forever changed.  This piece has layers of papers, paints, inks, and is heavily textured. This piece is sold, but commissions are welcomed.  Feel free to contact me via email at  saltlightwatercolors@yahoo.com .  You can also follow me on Facebook and Instagram .   https://dmartinfineart.com/

Watercolor Landscape Painting, "Aspen Morning", by International Watercolor Artist, Donna L. Martin

This is an original watercolor landscape that I completed last year.  I just love using vibrant colors of purples and blues...makes me so happy! The original piece is sold, but prints are available in various sizes. View more of my work at http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/1-donna-martin.html For questions or comments, please feel free to contact me at: saltlightwatercolors@yahoo.com

"Daydreams", Original Batik Painting by Colorado Artist, Donna L. Martin

 Daydreams This piece is fresh off the easel!  It will be part of an online art show coming up in May.  There will be several artists showing work over the course of two weeks and my particular day is May 11th.  There will be so many great pieces of work! Here is the link for this show.  I hope you can make it! You can also reach me through email and social media. https://dmartinfineart.com/ https://www.facebook.com/donnamartinfineart https://www.instagram.com/donnamartinfineart/