About Me

My photo
I am a Colorado native, so I grew up loving the natural environment and the wild Rocky Mountains. Until recently, I always considered myself a watercolor artist and felt confined to that little “box” I put myself in. On a quest for discovery and healing, I took a workshop in mixed media techniques. Since that day, I’ve been obsessed – I’ve found a new and different way to express myself and my emotions. I’m on a constant quest to find unusual and discarded “things” to use in my paintings. I’ve used everything from plaster, twine, metal, foil, and even broken windshield glass. It all somehow becomes symbolic in my paintings and signifies a feeling or emotion. Thanks for joining me on this journey and this adventure we call life and art!

Friday, January 9, 2015

"Breakthrough" - Happy New Year!

"Breakthrough"
 



Well, once again it's a New Year and rather than settling on resolutions, I'm trying to pick a word.  This is my first painting of the New Year and the "word", at least for this piece, was "Breakthrough".  

I feel like I'm stumbling this year.  Trying to get creative again after literally months of working on some commission pieces.  I just decided to begin throwing some paint on to this canvas to see what happened.  I wanted to paint a face on this one, originally.  I wanted it to have some kind of deep meaning and value.  This is not what happened.  I just used some intuition and trusted in the process.  This is what happened.  It seemed a dragonfly in the midst of flight was truly a breakthrough of sorts.  I got to be creative without thinking so much about it - without any expectations.  I still feel a little weak in the knees, but I'm ready to get creative again. 

Now I'm ready.  Ready for a New Year and ready for new adventures.  I don't think "Breakthrough" will actually be my "word" for the year, but it's a good start.  Every time I think about my "word", I second guess myself.  I have to think on it a little more.  What is your "word" for the year?  Are you ready for a breakthrough?   

This is a small mixed media piece, 6 X 12, 1.5 deep, constructed on cradle board.  It was layered and painted, using sheet music and various papers.  These photos show the piece before it was resined.  It is now coated with with a glassy resin finish, so there is no need for framing. 

This little "Breakthrough" is available.  Feel free to send me an email with any questions or comments.

saltlightwatercolors@yahoo.com

donnamartinfineart.com

3 comments: