Skip to main content

Trust Your Heart...and the Journey!

"Trust Your Heart"









So, it's a New Year, and of course, time for resolutions and "new beginnings".  I have to admit, I struggle this time of year.  I sort of get melancholy and I am not the most optimistic person during this "season".  Everything seems dull and gray and sort of lifeless.  Honestly, I wish I were a bear and could go into hibernation mode until the spring.  

At the beginning of a new year, it seems everyone always has the best intentions and I do too.  But, about mid-January, I have given up on any sort of "resolution" I may have made verbally or in my head.  I convince myself that it was the New Year's Eve champagne talking - not really me.  I didn't mean it...I never would have made that my resolution.  So as you can see, I really, really stink at resolutions and it is a big problem for me.  Keeping this in mind, I decided not to make them anymore.  Instead, last year, I decided to come up with a "word" - one word that would be my mantra for the entire year.  To make it "stick" I decided to come up with an intuitive painting that would guide me through the year.  Last year my word was "Fearless".  Below is a picture of this painting.  A heart rising up out of the abyss upon its own wings.  A flower was growing out of the heart - blooming and becoming and being original.


 Having my own "word" really did help me and I feel like it brought me and my artwork to a new level - almost as if discovering what we could do together.  When I would be so scared to put myself out there, I would look at my little "Fearless" painting.  It's almost like it spoke to me about being brave and being "real".  It told me I could so ahead and step out of my comfort zone.  It whispered that it's OK if people didn't like my work or didn't approve of it or if I didn't play by the rules in creating my work.  It also helped me be somewhat more accountable, if you will.  At the time, I thought this was my own little unique and original idea, but I discovered many other artists commit to this idea as well.  I think it is amazing and wonderful and I wish everyone would do something like this!

So this year, in thinking of my word, I just couldn't come up with anything.  I am taking an online class and one of our first projects included the words, "Trust in the Journey".  I thought, that is so "normal" and I want to be unique and original - you know I AM an artist and so I can be a little weird and different.  That's just how we roll.  My word needs to be profound and sparkle with fairy dust.  It needs to speak to me like no other.  I kept pondering and thinking and making up stuff in my head as to what my word would be.  Then, the funniest thing happened.   I was prompted to say a little prayer, asking for my word.  I had always thought this would be too small of a thing to ask for, there are so many bigger things going on in the universe and how stupid and insignificant of me to ask for a small, little word in a prayer.  But, I did it.  No sooner than I said my little prayer, I got my word for the year.  I didn't want this word, but the answer to my prayer was loud and clear.  I tried to argue...I don't want that word.  Nope, no arguing...that was it, this was my word.  Are you ready??  My word this year is TRUST.  I argued, "but what about my day job and all the turmoil and negativity associated with it and why can't I just do my artwork full-time and how is that ever going to work"??  You know what I heard next (again, loud and clear, by the way)?  "I've got this".  That's all I needed to hear.  My word for the year is "TRUST".  And that is exactly what I am going to do.

So, based on that story, this little painting came to be.  The heart and the words are constructed of pages from a vintage hymnal.  It reads, "Trust Your Heart...It Knows the Way.  I hope you enjoy it and I hope you all have a fabulous and "sparkly, fairy dust" New Year!  

www.donnamartinfineart.com

saltlightwatercolors@yahoo.com

https://www.facebook.com/donnamartinfineart

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Forever Changed”, by Colorado Artist, Donna L. Martin

  Forever Changed Sometimes people come into our lives unexpectedly.  They end up doing life with us, the good and the bad.  They see us through the most trying times and the offer us unwavering friendship and love.  They are “our person”.  Sometimes, they are gone way too soon.  But because of them, we are forever changed.  This piece has layers of papers, paints, inks, and is heavily textured. This piece is sold, but commissions are welcomed.  Feel free to contact me via email at  saltlightwatercolors@yahoo.com .  You can also follow me on Facebook and Instagram .   https://dmartinfineart.com/

Watercolor Landscape Painting, "Aspen Morning", by International Watercolor Artist, Donna L. Martin

This is an original watercolor landscape that I completed last year.  I just love using vibrant colors of purples and blues...makes me so happy! The original piece is sold, but prints are available in various sizes. View more of my work at http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/1-donna-martin.html For questions or comments, please feel free to contact me at: saltlightwatercolors@yahoo.com

"Daydreams", Original Batik Painting by Colorado Artist, Donna L. Martin

 Daydreams This piece is fresh off the easel!  It will be part of an online art show coming up in May.  There will be several artists showing work over the course of two weeks and my particular day is May 11th.  There will be so many great pieces of work! Here is the link for this show.  I hope you can make it! You can also reach me through email and social media. https://dmartinfineart.com/ https://www.facebook.com/donnamartinfineart https://www.instagram.com/donnamartinfineart/