About Me

My photo
I am a Colorado native, so I grew up loving the natural environment and the wild Rocky Mountains. Until recently, I always considered myself a watercolor artist and felt confined to that little “box” I put myself in. On a quest for discovery and healing, I took a workshop in mixed media techniques. Since that day, I’ve been obsessed – I’ve found a new and different way to express myself and my emotions. I’m on a constant quest to find unusual and discarded “things” to use in my paintings. I’ve used everything from plaster, twine, metal, foil, and even broken windshield glass. It all somehow becomes symbolic in my paintings and signifies a feeling or emotion. Thanks for joining me on this journey and this adventure we call life and art!

Thursday, January 15, 2015

"She Saw the Light", Original Mixed Media Painting by Colorado Mixed Media Artist, Donna L. Martin

"She Saw the Light"




This is a little whimsical mixed media painting that came as a result of an online class.  Lifebook 2015 - it is awesome so far!  Our "theme" was to create a "beacon of light".  I really struggled and felt unsure of myself in doing this project.  My word for last  year was "Fearless" and that word totally went out the window this year when I started this project. I pondered, I tried.  I picked her up, made her an "ugly teenager painting" and put her back down.  For days and days she was an ugly teenager painting - no kidding.  The pictures below don't even show her ugly stage and they are pretty bad.  




Then finally deciding to "work" on her, I went to find something in my stash of supplies to construct her dress.  The first thing I came across was an antique hymnal with a song titled "I've Seen the Light". That was it...this wasn't coincidence and I knew I had to start and finish her.  I think she is appropriately titled as well!  I can't even believe she turned in to this.

  

She is constructed on a 1.5" deep cradle board.  Overall size is 12 X 12. She was done with paint, graphite pencil, stencils, paper, and of course, words from that old, antique hymnal.  Her sunbeams, as well as around her star, have gold iridescent paint - so it shines beautifully when the light hits it.  It is finished with a glassy, resin coat, so there is no need to frame it.  She is hard to give up, but she is available for purchase...because I truly think she will resonate with someone who needs her.

For questions, comments, or if she is yours, please feel free to email me at:
saltlightwatercolors@yahoo.com


For more information on Lifebook 2015 go to:

No comments:

Post a Comment